Images from the Library
Notes on Families
Peter Connolly and his wife Margaret Moran were Irish immigrants living in Quebec City. Peter was an employee of Canada’s federal government, and moved to Ottawa at the time of Confederation in 1867. They had 13 children, all born in Ottawa.
Alexander “Boss” Gibson (1813 –1919) of St. Andrews, New Brunswick was a leading Canadian industrialist, lumberman and railway entrepreneur. He owned the town of Marysville, New Brunswick, where he ran the largest cotton mill in Canada. He was married in 1843 to Mary Ann Robinson of St. James Parish, New Brunswick, and they had three sons and four daughters.
Edward Arthur Hoare and Annie Margaret Salmon (known in the family as Pawnee) resided in Quebec City. They had three children: Edward Stewart Hoare born in 1895, Wilma Hoare born in 1882, and Muriel Hoare born around 1872.
Full length portrait of Marjorie Edith Holcroft, daughter of Charles and Edith Holcroft, photographed with her doll in the drawing room of her home, in Toronto, Ontario ca. 1898, Photo © CMC
Majorie Holcroft was born in 1894 in Hamilton, Ontario to Charles James Holcroft (1864–1919) and Edith Blayden Maule (1865–1961). The couple married in 1892, at which time Charles James was employed with The Mail Printing Company in Toronto. The family moved to Hamilton and lived there from 1894 to 1898, and by 1898 Charles James was working for the Canada Life Assurance Company in Toronto. The family later bought a farm in Oakville, Ontario.
Eliza Clarke Cory Clench married Freeman Schemerhorn Clench, Sr. in 1820 at Ameliasburgh in Ontario’s Prince Edward Country. In 1825, they settled permanently in Cobourg, Ontario, where they ran a successful cabinetmaking business. One daughter, Mrs. Fanny Jane Clench Lowe, took a homestead in Manitoba for her son, who established a new branch of the Lowe family in Ninette, Manitoba.
Ruth McKendry, née Ruth McLeod (1920–2006) and her husband Blake shared an interest in collecting Canadian antiques for almost half a century. They first operated The Pioneer Shop: an art, rare book and antique shop in Ottawa, Ontario (1955–1960). From 1961 on, they specialized in collecting, selling and providing advice on early Canadian textiles. The couple resided in Kingston.
(This excerpt was taken from a museum fact sheet titled "Ruth McKendry – Biography" for the communiqué “Ruth McKendry textile collection acquired by museum”, September 26, 2002)
Mrs. Ulric Valiquette and her family resided in Ottawa. A skilled needlewoman, Mrs. Valiquette won a prize at the Central Canada Exhibition in 1888 for a baptismal gown she made. The gown was worn through four generations of her family.