The creation of the single-service Canadian Forces in 1968 transformed the Royal Canadian Navy into Maritime Command. The unification of the armed services brought tremendous change, introducing standardized uniforms and other common procedures that replaced older traditions. Federal policy and human rights rulings also increased the use of French, and began to abolish most limits on women's military service.
Eleanor Abra, a naval reservist, was issued this pre-unification style of naval uniform in 1973.
Abra, who served in HMCS Carleton, the naval reserve unit in Ottawa, Ontario, received a dark blue uniform of a pattern introduced in 1957. The jacket itself dates to that year, while the skirt and other pieces were made at later dates. Although the Royal Canadian Navy became part of the Canadian Forces in 1968, with its distinctive uniforms being replaced by a green uniform common to all three services, the naval reserves were slower to make the change.
Service Dress Uniform, Chief Petty Officer Eleanor Abra
Cap, CWM 20050136-001
Jacket, CWM 20050136-002
Blouse, CWM 20050136-004
Tie, CWM 20050136-005
Skirt, CWM 20050136-003