The mission of the Canadian Children’s Museum (CCM) is to promote multicultural understanding among children by enriching their lives, broadening their cultural experiences and providing a creative space in which to learn about the world. The Children’s Museum plans, develops and administers a display and programming facility targeted for children up to 14 years of age and their families. The CCM also recruits, trains and administers a volunteer program. The CCM plans, develops and implements a program of temporary and longer term exhibitions, activities and products for internal and external distribution nationally and internationally. In cooperation with CMCC Collections and Research Divisions, the CCM undertakes curatorial activities to develop a nationally significant artifact collection of children’s material and items of interest to children that is acquired, recorded, maintained and preserved. The CCM also provides expertise, programs, products, advice and assistance to other divisions within CMCC and to community organizations or other individuals concerned with children’s activities.
The role of the CCM in the Aboriginal Training Program may contribute to research and programming.
The section will focus on providing:
- exposure to programs that use a hands-on approach and are artifact- and object-centred
- knowledge regarding planning and implementation of interpretative programs geared to the family and promoting intergenerational sharing and learning
- information on the role of programming in the development of particular CCM themes.
Specific Learning Outcomes
These objectives will be reached through assigned tasks and projects which may include the following skills or procedures.
The intern may:
- apply educational theories and methods to the development and implementation of programming
- plan activities for families and/or for school or community groups
- organize and develop pedagogical material
- become familiar with the CCM’s collection and how it is used for programming
- experience animating a particular theme
- assist in the implementation of planned activities or special events.