Do you have a favourite snow memory to share in photographs and words?
We’re looking for family photos featuring anything to do with snow: tobogganing, skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing adventures; first snowfalls and first snowmen; snowflakes and snow scenes; walks through fresh snow; snowstorms and the shovelling that goes with it; your favourite snowmobile outings—even your pet’s snowy adventures.
Whether you love snow or can’t wait for spring, we want to see your photos—and the stories that go with them—both old and new.
As Canada’s national history museum, we are planning a new exhibition on snow in Canada. The exhibition that will run from December 2013 to September 2014 will feature, among others items, snow photos and stories from people across the country. We may even preserve some of your photos and stories in the Museum’s National Collection, and include them in the exhibition catalogue.
We won’t be looking at ice or ice activities this time around, but if you’ve got a great snow-related photo and story to share, we’d love to see it.
Criteria for Photographs
- Photographs must illustrate Canadians’ relationship with snow.
- Photographs must be taken in Canada. People from outside of Canada are welcome to submit, but their story and photo must be about Canada.
- Participants must be 18 or older on the day of submission.
- Format: digital jpeg format; at least 300 dpi; black and white, or colour; cannot exceed 4 MB
How Your Photograph Will be Used
- Exhibition: Your photo will run in a loop on screens as a part of an exhibition at the Canadian Museum of Civilization. We will also include your first name and the title, date and location of your photo in a caption.
- Catalogue: Your photo may also be included in the exhibition catalogue with the same caption information.
- National Collection: On the form, we will ask you if you would like to donate your photograph to the Museum’s National Collection. If you would like to do this, please check the appropriate box. We are happy to accept photographs that complement our existing collection; please understand, however, that this means that we cannot accept all photographs offered to us.
Rules and Regulations
- By submitting your photograph, you warrant that the submitted photo does not, and shall not, infringe on any copyright, nor any rights of privacy or publicity of any person.
- By submitting your photograph, you acknowledge that any persons appearing in the submitted photograph have given the sender consent for reproduction.
- By submitting your photograph, you are allowing the Canadian Museum of Civilization to use this photograph as part of the exhibition, and in any other promotional tool(s) related to the exhibition.
- It is understood that the Canadian Museum of Civilization does not have exclusive rights to the photographs that are submitted.
- The Museum does not have an obligation to display the photograph submitted by you, and reserves the right to reject photographs that do not reflect the theme of the exhibition, or that contain inappropriate content.
- Your email address will not be disclosed.
- By submitting your photograph, you are agreeing to all of the above rules.
- Submissions will be accepted until September 1, 2013.